Thursday, August 4, 2011

It’s Official!

New Picture We officially got our student’s information today, and we are officially a welcome family!!  We will be welcoming Gudrun from Iceland sometime this month!  I’m still not exactly sure when—during our family interview it was looking like the end of August, but a recent email from our AT makes it sound like it’ll be next week.  Holy cow!  We will have a lot to do if it’s next week, particularly as I will be finishing up my schoolwork from my recent “library boot camp” class in Arizona!  I got home yesterday and found out last night that pick up day APPEARS to be August 12th.  Well, life is never dull!

Anyway, I’ve just fired off my first email to her, and hopefully we’ll hear back from her in the next couple of days and be able to find out what kinds of things she likes and wants to do, eat, and see.  We were quite lucky to have a couple of months with Penny, the idea that we might have just a week with Gudrun is a bit scary and exhilarating at the same time!

If you are still on the fence about hosting or being a welcome family, the last we heard, there are still hundreds of kids who need homes!  Please go to AFS USA and click on “host a student” today!

Tomorrow I will post something about Iceland, since I have a lot to learn about it!  Mike and I both had students from Iceland in our schools, but I never knew the one at my school, and he is wracking his brain to remember the one at his.  I’m excited about having been matched with a student from someplace new again.  Thailand was an adventure, and I’m sure Iceland will be too!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! When does the school start? Our school starts Aug 11th so we only have a few days with our student before she begins classes. Like you, I'm an avid reader so I am looking forward to getting her American Lit reading list so that we can read together. I am ready for our student, finally! Well, almost. Always some little last minute things to do.

    ReplyDelete